Work: Hydrological Modelling of Alberta
The main objective of this reserach study is the quantification of Alberta’s water resources, including all components of the water balance at a sub-basin spatial and monthly temporal scale, and includes:
- blue water flow (river discharge plus deep aquifer recharge)
- green water flow (evapotranspiration)
- green water storage (soil moisture)
- aquifer recharge
Hydrological Modelling of Alberta - Using the SWAT Model
The research study uses the Soil and Water Assessment Tool (SWAT) in combination with the Sequential Uncertainty Fitting Program (SUFI-2) to calibrate and validate a hydrologic model of Alberta's river discharges. The study was funded by the Alberta Water Research Institute, and was conducted by:
- Karim C. Abbaspour, EAWAG, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology
- Monireh Faramarzi, Departement of Natural Resources, Isfahan University of Technology, Iran
- Elham Rouholahnejad, EAWAG, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology
The report Hydrological Modelling of Alberta - Using the SWAT Model (February, 2011) provides a strong basis for further studies on water and food security, water resource management, and for understanding the impacts of climate change on blue and green water resources in Alberta.
Contact us, if you have a question for the authors on the report Hydrological Modelling of Alberta.